Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Gold, Gajras and Silk

If I were asked three things that define a tamilian woman, I would bet my life and say ... Gold, Gajra and Silk. Every female in Chennai is fully loaded with these three things at all points in the day.

I really wonder why aren't there any day light chain-snatchings, robberies etc. with so many potential targets out on the street are shopping, walking, chatting, haggling, Gold we all know is one of the best friends of any female in the world (diamonds give them a fight but gold still holds ground). Chennai would have the maximum amount of per-capita gold anywhere in the world.

Hansa Parekh introduced me to the wornderful world of Gajras. Ever since, I have been hooked to say the least. Chennai is a heaven for all the Gajra people. You can find small kids selling Gajras everywhere. On the bus stops, in the restaurants (yes in the restaurants), petrol pumps, outside bookshops, think of a place, they are there. And what more, ladies buy them too.

And finally silk. They have some kind of obsession with silk and they experiment too. I have seen silk saree with pocket, have seen reversible saree and have also seen denim silk saree. Who said India could not innovate things.

No comments: